I just wanted to pass along the latest update from our perinatologist dr. appt. on Wednesday, April 1st. Overall, both babies appear to be doing well and in good health. However, there are two small concerns.
The first concern is related to the excessive amount of amniotic fluid. You know, weeks ago, we were concerned that Baby B did not have enough amniotic fluid. Well, now they both have an excessive amount. So, the dr. wants me to cut back on drinking so many fluids. He asked me if I was drinking a lot because I’m thirsty or because I’ve been told to drink a lot when you’re pregnant. I told him definitely the second. I am not a big drinker even when not pregnant. So, he is thinking that the problem may be that my kidneys are used to processing the amount of fluids that I normally would intake. Now, that I am drinking lots more, my kidneys might just not be able to process it all and therefore, it is building up as amniotic fluid and that’s also why my ankles / feet are already swelling so bad. The primary risk of too much amniotic fluid is preterm labor. He checked the length of my cervix (which if short is also a sign of preterm labor, possibly in my case caused by the excessive weight of the extra amniotic fluid). However, the length of my cervix was long, so that made him not as worried about the excess fluid. If we don’t see a reduction of the fluid at our next appt. in 4 weeks or we see that it has increased and the length of my cervix has decreased, we may possibly have to talk about doing amniocentesis to draw out some of the fluid or about a drug which can help decrease the fluid level. Either method comes with its own set of risks. So, the dr.’s preference is to do neither of these.
The other concern is the difference in size / weight of the two babies. One weighed 1 pound yesterday and one was 12 ounces. So, he calculated that they are 21% different. They don’t like to see them get into the 20-25% different range. So, obviously we are just barely in that range. So, this is something that will definitely be monitored going forward. However, Baby B has been smaller all along. Baby A is slightly bigger than normal now and Baby B is slightly smaller than normal now, hence the 21% difference. If they get too far different, a decision has to be made about whether to induce labor early….thinking that one may be sick and you don’t want the sick one to harm the healthy one. But, then, you have all the additional risks with preterm labor. So, we don’t want to have to make that decision.
Craig and I are very optimistic about things. We know that God has been with us this far and he will be with us throughout. We aren’t losing any sleep over worry about this. However, we would like to ask that you remember our boys in your prayers in the coming weeks and months. Just a short 15 weeks or so away until we all get to meet them! Thank you all for your prayers!